Saturday, March 23, 2024

Week Eleven Prompt Response

 I think that I will always love the physical book. There is something so magical about holding a book in your hands and being able to feel the pages. I love seeing a book that has been read, with tape on the spine to keep it together. I also love ebooks and audiobooks for wildly different reasons. In a world post the height of the COVID-19 pandemic the landscape around books has changed. When people were not allowed to leave their homes they switched to ebooks and audiobooks, and some have never come back. I personally love ebooks and enjoy audiobooks.

For ebooks the biggest appeal factor for me is the ability to change the font size. I have not great vision. I need to wear glasses constantly and without them I turn into Velma from Scooby-Doo. I have realized that I most likely need to read large print books. I can read a standard print book, but it takes much longer. With my eReader, a Kobo Libra 2 to be specific, I can change the font size to something that is comfortable for me without the upcharge and limited selection of large print. The other main appeal factor for me is weight. I mostly read large books and they can hurt my hands after reading for a long time. With a lightweight eReader I do not have to worry about that. I also love that I can either borrow a book from the library or buy a book and then read it immediately without having to leave my house. It is a simple thing but it is very nice. 

With audiobooks I am more on the fence. I do not like to use them as my first read, and that is my main issue with them. When I am reading a book I cannot do other things, but if I am listening to an audiobook I can. When I am multitasking and listening to an audiobook I do not retain the information in the same way that I do when reading the book. The fact that I can multitask while listening to an audio book is why I love them though. The main place in which I listen to them is on my waterproof MP3 player while swimming. I love being able to load a few chapters into the MP3 and swim until they are over. I have not done this in a while because of both work and school, so I look forward to being able to start doing that again. With audiobooks the most different appeal factor is the person reading the book. That can make or break an audiobook. I am lucky and all of the audiobooks I have listened to over the years have had great narrators, but I can easily see how that could ruin the experience. 

2 comments:

  1. The ability to adjust font size and the convenience of accessing a wide selection without leaving home is really accessibility friendly. I agree about audiobooks. I do not listen to audiobooks if I intend to retain detailed information with the book. Although, I am saying this while listening to my study materials for another class in 'text to speech' software. So, maybe the future has more nonfiction audiobook style reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done an audiobook while swimming before but now I want to! Great insight and wonderful response!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt Response

An important thing that libraries can do to, hopefully, increase circulation is to market the collection. I think that the three best ways t...