Thursday, January 18, 2024

Reading Profile

 I do not read as much as I would like. When I was in K-12 I read a lot. I did not work until my senior year, so I had plenty of free time. When I started my undergrad I had no time to do anything else. I was either working on homework, in class, or working. In my few moments of free time I did not want to do anything related to school. When I graduated that love of reading slowly started to come back. It is still not fully to the level that it was, but I hope it gets there soon. 

When I do read the books usually fit into three categories: YA rereads, Fantasy, or Graphic Novels/Manga. I love being able to reread something a notice a new aspect that I missed the first time. It is extremely rewarding to me to be able to find out more about the books I love. I also only like to listen to audiobooks on a reread, so with rereading I can get other things done. Fantasy is without a shadow of a doubt my favorite genre. Most of the media that I consume, outside of books, is Fantasy. I just love being immersed in a world. I love when an author spends six pages describing the scenery. World building is one of my favorite aspects of books and Fantasy requires more than other genres. Lastly, I love graphic novels and manga. When I was a child my dad worked as a janitor at my local library. He would always bring stuff home for me to read, and the thing that began my love of reading was Manga. He would bring me home seven volumes of a series and I would read them that night. I could not get enough of it. That love has continued on to this day. Since they are a mixture of pictures and text you can get through them a lot faster. With how busy I am with both work and grad school that is a blessing. 

I am excited for this class because it gives me an excuse to read five books that have been staring at me on my shelf for a while. 

Favorite Series/Books

  • Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Favorite book)
  • A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
  • Simon Snow Trilogy by Rainbow Rowell
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
  • Looking for Alaska and Turtles all the Way Down by John Green
  • Yellowface by R.F. Kuang
  • I'm Glad my Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
Favorite Manga/Graphic Novels
  • Scott Pilgrim Series by Bryan Lee O'Malley
  • Uzumaki by Junji Ito
  • Rave Master Series by Hiro Mashima (First Manga Series I Read)
  • Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi
  • Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
  • The Promised Neverland Series by Kaiu Shirai

6 comments:

  1. Hi William! I felt it when you said you didn't read much during college. I couldn't either. I also love fantasy and reread all of the Percy Jackson verse books about a year ago. It was great fun! I haven't read the new one Chalice of the Gods yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you in not having any free time to read during my undergrad. All of my love for reading was washed away while trying to read for classes. I'm excited to see that we are both working on getting back into reading!

    Also, you have so many books that I have loved reading, being "Howl's Moving Castle," "The Hunger Games," "Looking for Alaska," and the "Scott Pilgrim" series. I am looking forward to seeing your annotations in hopes of finding one of my next favorite reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I'm entering another "no time to read" phase of life so I also love that this class gives me an excuse to read! Fantasy is one of my favorite genres but I have to admit it's more romantic fantasy that I usually pick up. I have been getting into graphic novels lately though! I'm currently trying to read The Watchmen by Alan Moore but I haven't made it very far. I'm so tired after work and homework that I don't feel like reading anything new.

    I've made it through 4 of the Percy Jackson books and it's my goal to finish the other books at some point. My Teen Advisory Board actually requested a Percy Jackson themed escape room for our Summer Reading program this summer so hopefully I can put a good one together for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading for fun always took a backseat for me during the school semesters as well - and grad school is no exception for this. I've only recently really gotten back into reading again, it's crazy how we forget this. I love that you included a list of graphic novels. I always forget to include manga and graphic novels when I think about my taste in books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi William!

    Do you have any horror manga that you're enjoying right now, off the top of your head? I've nearly exhausted my library's collection of Ito works. I know Dorohedoro is popping off lately with excitement over more seasons of the Netflix adaption. Have you read the manga for it? I've heard good things about Panorama of Hell by Hino Hideshi too but I haven't been able to pick it up yet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi William!

    I am right there with you in terms of trying to get back into reading. Reading was beginning to feel overwhelming for me throughout undergrad and the majority of my graduate journey, but I have recently joined a book club and it is allowing me to slowly start getting back into a hobby that was once my favorite. I am just starting to get into fantasy, so I will write down all of your favorites. I have always enjoyed YA (fluffy romance, historical fiction, paranormal), but am excited to try out other things that are outside of my comfort zone. Have you enjoyed any Brandon Sanderson series or standalones?

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt Response

An important thing that libraries can do to, hopefully, increase circulation is to market the collection. I think that the three best ways t...